For reference only
Mark Tanner Sculpture Award 2018-19
Applications open on 1st January 2018 and closed 31st March 2018
Successful applicants will be invited for interview in April where interviews will take place at Standpoint. Due to the high volume of entries and the collective nature of the decision-making process, we are unable to contact or give feedback to artists who are not shortlisted for interview.
Mark Tanner Sculpture Award 2019-20 applications will open 1 January 2019. Please check back for any changes in the application process.
Any queries please contact us on email@example.com
The Mark Tanner Sculpture Award is unique in its combination of offering both financial support towards the production of new work and a solo exhibition to an exceptional emerging sculptor. We seek to reward outstanding and innovative practice in the field of sculpture and are particularly interested in work that demonstrates a commitment to process and materials.
There is no age limit, applicants will be judged on the quality of their work and the ability of the award to make beneficial impact on their practice and future development. The financial award to assist in the production of a new body of work is £8,000, made in 3 payments over the course of the year, at the end of which there will be a solo exhibition at Standpoint Gallery.
Standpoint will maintain a supportive, mentoring role over the twelve month period of the award, including studio visits to discuss progress towards the exhibition.
The selection panel
The selection panel for the 2018/19 award is:
Clare Lilley, Director of Programme, Yorkshire Sculpture Park
Cathie Pilkington RA, British sculptor
Rebecca Scott, artist and Mark Tanner Trust
Frances Richardson, winner of the MTSA 2017/18
The panel will be chaired by Michael Taylor, director of Standpoint
Applicants must be established residents of the UK. We are now able to accept applications from all artists based in the UK.
Students in current education are not eligible to apply. This applies to BA and MA students or equivalent, but NOT to those undertaking postgraduate research work leading to a PhD/Mphil/MLitt/ MRes or equivalent
Selection will be made in two stages:
- All applicants must complete the online application.
- You will be required to pay a fee of £18.00 to enter (this goes towards the costs of the selection procedure).
- Please note: no other information will be viewed.
- Interviews for shortlisted artists will be held at Standpoint on Thursday 26th April 2018
- We will ask shortlisted artists to make a short presentation about their work, followed by questions from the panel. We will request further documentation of your practice where necessary.
- References will be taken up prior to interview, for shortlisted artists only.
- Travel expenses (best price available) will be reimbursed for shortlisted applicants.
- Please note: the interview date is fixed, so please ensure sure you are able to attend. No other dates or arrangements can be made, unavailablity will lead to a withdrawal from the selection process.
What the award supports
The award money may be used for any legitimate purpose that contributes toward the production of work, eg studio rent, materials, the artist’s time. We will not support promotional or documentation materials such as catalogues or photography. Travel costs would only be acceptable if they are in direct relation to research or production of works.
We aim for the exhibition at Standpoint to be the first public showing of new work supported by the award. Please make clear any other significant exhibiting commitments during the year so we can coordinate with these. Failure to do so could lead to a withdrawal of the award.
The Mark Tanner Sculpture Award is central to Standpoints charitable aims:
- to act as a platform for emerging artists,
- to support the diversity and vibrancy of artistic production,
- to promote excellence in and commitment to the artist as maker,
- and to provide an arena for artists professional development.
Previous recipients of the MTSA -
2017/18 Frances Richardson
2016/17 Beth Collar
2015/16 Megan Broadmeadow
2014/15 Kate Lyddon
2013/14 Iain Hale
2010/11 Jemima Brown
2009/10 John Wallbank
2008/9 Paul Carter
2007/8 Clara Clark
2006/7 John Summers
2005/6 Kevin Osmond
2004/5 Paul Jones
2003/4 Victoria Rance
2002/3 Giles Kent
2001/2 Rosie Leventon
Guest selectors have included Laurence Sillars, Richard Wilson, Penelope Curtis, Conrad Shawcross, Lisa Le Feuvre, Richard Deacon, Phyllida Barlow, Rachel Whiteread, Cornelia Parker, Cathy de Monchaux, Tim Marlow and Hew Locke.